They're like time portals.
Doors through which passed thousands of entertainment seekers, but now long forgotten.
A beautiful pieced mirror door still stands at what once was the entranceway to Frank's Casanova, a nightclub frequented mostly by men, on Buffalo's East Side. On the inside of the establishment at Bailey Avenue and East Ferry Street, drinks were served and dancing girls in various stages of dress and undress performed.
Frank's Casanova closed years ago. The door remains, but an iron grate has been placed over the outside of it, and a new nightclub operates inside.
Another dark, foreboding portal holds images of Buffalo's past. Behind these doors echo the cheers of St. Mary's, the champions of the 1940-41 City Parochial School Basketball Tournament. The big game was played in this gymnasium at Broadway and Pine Street. The building also housed bowling alleys, a girls' business school and a third-floor theater for aspiring actors and actresses. The structure is vacant, but the memories remain.