Share this article

print logo

WILLIAMS PLANS TO CONTINUE FIGHT

Despite a setback from the U.S. Supreme Court, country music star Hank Williams Jr. plans to continue his fight against a woman who claims to be his father's daughter.

The high court on Monday let stand a ruling that Cathy Yvonne Stone, 37, a country music performer known as Jett Williams, is entitled to have her fight for some of the late country music legend's royalties put before a jury.

At the same time, the court left intact an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that declared Ms. Stone an heir to the elder Williams.

"The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to hear the case -- this is not a judgment -- and we're simply going to seek other remedies," said Merle Kilgore, Hank Jr.'s manager.

Ms. Stone was born in 1953, five days after Hank Sr. died at age 29. Her mother, Bobbie Jett, and Williams had signed an agreement months earlier in which he acknowledged he might be the father of the then-unborn child.

Kilgore said representatives for Hank Jr. and other parties involved in the royalties battle will meet this week to discuss strategy.

Ms. Stone said she has won the five-year fight.

"I feel it's as big a victory for my father, Hank Williams, as myself," she said. "This is what should have been done in the beginning."

There are no comments - be the first to comment