Share this article

print logo

DR. HAROLD G. HAMBERGER DIES; WAS PIONEER IN OCCLUSIVE DENTISTRY

Dr. Harold G. Hamberger, 81, a Buffalo dentist for 54 years, died Wednesday (Jan. 31, 1990) in Pompano Beach, Fla.

Born in Buffalo and a graduate of Canisius High School, Canisius College, Northwestern University Dental School and Columbia University School of Dentistry, the dental surgeon established his practice in 1933, retiring in 1987.

He was a major in the Army Medical Corps in World War II, first serving at Fort Niagara and Fort Dix, then establishing field hospitals in England and France after the Normandy Invasion. There, Hamberger crafted the first acrylic artificial eyes for soldiers injured in battle.

Hamberger was a pioneer in occlusive dentistry, to correct "bite" problems, and was a member of both the New York Dental Society and the American Dental Association. He also was a member of Xi Psi Phi fraternity and the senior division of the Reserve Officers Training Corps.

An avid sportsman, sailor and golfer, he was a founder of the Murray Hill Ski Club and the South Shore Yacht Club and was a member of the Wanakah Country Club. He and his wife maintained homes in Angola and Florida.

He is survived by his wife, Norma Schreier Hamberger; three sons, H. Gregg, Robert F. and Douglas P.; a daughter, Cynthia Hamberger Burns, and a grandchild.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 11 a.m. Feb. 10 in Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, 1029 Delaware Ave.

There are no comments - be the first to comment