Share this article

print logo


Mulligan's Brick Bar, the popular Allentown night spot, is once again in trouble with the State Liquor Authority.

Owner Bennet Kell appeared before an SLA administrative law judge today to answer charges that a Mulligan's bouncer assaulted a patron and that a minor was served beer. Both incidents are alleged to have occurred last April.

Testimony by defense witnesses in the latest case is expected in about two weeks.

The main charge centers around allegations made by Christopher J. Culpo, 24, of Buffalo. He told Administrative Law Judge John M. MacCallum that he was hit in the face by a Mulligan's bouncer last April 22. Culpo said he had visited the bar at 229 Allen St. late that evening and was suddenly, and without provocation, attacked by bouncer Peter Terlecky.

"He held a bottle in his hand and punched me in the face," Culpo told SLA attorney Robert J. Bolm, adding that he was hit several more times while collapsed on the floor.

Culpo said he had no conversation with Mulligan's bouncers before the incident, was not intoxicated and did nothing to provoke the attack. Under cross-examination by defense attorney Paul V. Hurley, he also denied that he had been grabbing the breasts and buttocks of female patrons of the bar.

Culpo's testimony was corroborated by David J. Sheppard, 24, of Buffalo, who said he assisted Culpo after the attack. Sheppard, who said he did not know Culpo at the time of the incident, testified that he saw the victim hit with the fist and bottle. He added that he later learned the bouncer who hit Culpo was Terlecky.

While Culpo said Kell refused him first aid after the incident, Sheppard said Kell directed his staff to obtain towels and ice for the several cuts on his face. Both men testified, however, that Kell refused to summon an ambulance.

After an ambulance was called from an outside pay phone, Culpo said he was treated in Buffalo General Hospital for a broken nose, cuts and chipped teeth. He also testified that he filed second-degree assault charges against Terlecky. Terlecky was acquitted of those charges in a non-jury trial in Buffalo City Court.

In addition, two Days Park residents testified that one of them -- a minor -- was served beer in Mulligan's on April 9. Christine Murphy, 23, said she was annoyed at the amount of commotion emanating from Mulligan's that night. She said she then summoned her sister, Kelly, 20, to the bar. Both Christine and Kelly indicated that Kelly bought beer at the bar and that Christine left the bar with the beer in her hand -- in full view of bouncers at the door.

"Both of us were angered by all the noise, people and drunkenness (that night)," Christine Murphy testified.

The new allegations are only the latest problems to hit the tavern.

Its liquor license was suspended for 20 days, and it was fined $1,000 in 1987 after the bar was found guilty of becoming a focal point of police attention. The charge was placed after two stabbings near the bar, one of them fatal, and in the wake of a neighborhood outcry over noise and rowdiness.

Many in the neighborhood sought revocation of Mulligan's license, and the agency probe determined that the bar had become a neighborhood nuisance, but not to the degree that merited closing.

There are no comments - be the first to comment