Share this article

print logo

TYSON NOT ABOUT TO FIGHT FOREMAN

NEW YORK -- Mike Tyson, training in Tokyo for his Feb. 11 bout against Buster Douglas, said he has no plans to give former champion George Foreman a shot at his heavyweight title.

Tyson, apparently tired of hearing how Foreman became the leading contender with a knockout of Gerry Cooney Jan. 15, released a statement through promoter Don King's office to eliminate Foreman as a challenger.

"George Foreman is not in my future," Tyson said in the statement. "No way, no how, no time, no place.

"It isn't going to happen. I've got Buster Douglas and, if I get by him, I've got Evander Holyfield (June 18). But I have no interest in fighting George Foreman, and it's not happening."

King has mentioned Foreman, 42, as a lucrative future foe for Tyson and even offered the former champion $5 million last month for a 1990 title bout. After his second-round knockout of Cooney, Foreman said his price has doubled.

Foreman's demands for a $10 million purse and his insistence that King rival Bob Arum promote the fight have upset Tyson, according to King's boxing director Al Braverman.

"Tyson told Don he's fed up hearing Foreman's name," Braverman said. "Foreman picks one of Don's worst enemies, and says that's who he wants to go with."

Foreman also might have upset King with a comment he made on television after the Cooney bout.

"I'm more afraid of Don King on the dotted line than I am of Mike Tyson," Foreman said.

Lomax to undergo hip operation

PHOENIX -- Former Phoenix Cardinals quarterback Neil Lomax will undergo surgery for an artificial hip in the next four to six weeks, the Cards' orthopedic physician said.

Dr. Russell Chick said the surgery will be done in Los Angeles by himself and Dr. Larry Dorr, a hip replacement specialist from California.

Lomax, a Pro Bowl selection in 1984 and 1987, retired last week at age 30 after nine seasons with the Cardinals because of degenerative arthritis in his left hip.

Fog, lack of snow cause skiers grief

SANTA CATERINA VALFURVA, Italy -- Organizers prepared contingency plans for the weekend in the hope of staging three women's World Cup races in three days after fog forced postponement of a downhill Friday.

If weather that brought snow and fog to the region improves, the postponed downhill will be raced this morning, with the super-giant slalom being held in the afternoon, officials said.

If the snow and poor visibility continues, organizers will attempt to stage the two-run giant slalom this morning. A long-awaited winter snowstorm with accompanying banks of fog arrived just in time Friday to force cancellation of the downhill and add to the scheduling problems of this race season.

The weather problems that also forced cancellation Friday of a men's downhill at Val d'Isere, France, arrived suddenly after months of drought and little snow.

Favorite for the women's downhill is Switzerland's Michela Figini, fastest in training.

"I have great memories of this course," said Figini, who won the world title here five years ago. "I am hoping to win here again."

There are no comments - be the first to comment