Share this article

print logo
Bills

All analysis of the 2018 Buffalo Bills draft justifiably will hinge on the trade-up for Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen. It's worth noting, however, that the trade-up for linebacker Tremaine Edmunds at No. 16 was critical to the Bills' short- and long-term future because of the way the first round played out. "The first round is very average this year," said former Be…

Bills

The What-If Board There's no doubt the Bills would have been widely skewered both nationally and locally if they had sat on their hands and not taken one of the 2018 NFL Draft's top four quarterbacks, given all the draft-pick capital Buffalo had amassed. Nevertheless, a fair number of fans last week advocated drafting Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph, who went No. 76 in th…

Bills

3 Impressive Drafts Everyone knows grading drafts before the players ever step on the field is an imagination exercise. Nevertheless, here's a stock-market rating based largely on a the principle: "the more picks the better." Cleveland: The Browns made four picks in the top 35. After going 1-31 the past two years, things have to start getting better, right? Of course, …

Bills

Click the links for features, analysis, photos and comments about the eight Bills draft picks and undrafted free agents: FIRST ROUND Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming In depth: Josh Allen wants you to know he's not who you might think he is Josh Allen: 'There's not an ounce of hate in my body' Josh Allen to Bills fans: Look at my film, not my stats Bills land their…

Bills

The Bills do not publicly confirm which players were among the top-30 visits the team hosted at One Bills Drive. A group of 24 names were reported by various outlets before the draft so it's unclear whether the Bills used all 30. One name that was not reported was Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, whom the Bills traded up to select at No. 16. Coach Sean McDe…

Bills

One NFL Draft ends, the looking ahead begins. As it stands now, the Bills have nine picks for the 2019 NFL Draft. That is the same number that they entered the weekend's draft with before the trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that allowed the Bills to move to No. 7 and select Josh Allen. Round 1: Own pick Round 2: Own pick Round 3: Own pick Round 4: Own…

Bills

The big draft news in the AFC East is all about quarterbacks. The Jets and the Bills got their franchise guys. The Dolphins and Patriots decided they did not need to bolster their QB rosters in any significant way. The 2018 draft could mark the beginning of the end of New England's dominance of the AFC East if either the Jets' Sam Darnold or the Bills' Josh Allen live u…

Bills

Grading an NFL Draft is a subjective exercise. What some analysts may consider a reach, others would contend is a steal. Such is the nature of evaluating prospects. Not surprisingly, then, there is a wide range of opinions about the eight-man 2018 class of the Buffalo Bills. One respected analyst gave the Bills his only "A" grade of the entire draft, while an analyti…

Bills

Head Coach Sean McDermott & General Manager Brandon Beane Saturday, April 28, 2018 Brandon Beane, Opening Statement: Before we start, because I know the questions will roll, I just wanted to take the time to thank all our scouts and the coaches. Joe Schoen, Terrance Gray, our full college staff, Sean’s staff – they put a lot of time on the road, in the film room.…

Bills

NFL teams can go years without picking a player from the lower level of Division I football. On Saturday, the Buffalo Bills did that twice on the final day of the 2018 NFL Draft. The additions of Weber State cornerback Teron Johnson in the fourth round and Jacksonville State (Ala.) safety Siran Neal gave the Bills some depth in the secondary. After the draft was over…

Bills

CB Taron Johnson Saturday, April 28, 2018 Q: Hey, can we just get the pronunciation of your first name officially? Congratulations. A: Thank you, I appreciate it. [It’s pronounced] TARE-un Johnson. Q: How much time, Taron, did you spend inside as opposed to outside on the boundary at Weber State? A: Most of the time, if I was following a receiver, that’s most of t…

Bills

The frenzy to snap up undrafted free agents quickly follows the end of the NFL Draft. The Buffalo Bills got into the act Saturday night, according to various reports and players making announcements on social media. The Bills had 78 players on the roster after completing an eight-man draft class, leaving spots for up to a dozen priority free agents barring any more rost…

Bills

The Buffalo Bills had some inside knowledge when it came to their final pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. North Carolina wide receiver Austin Proehl joined the team as the 255th and penultimate overall selection in the seventh round. Proehl is the son of long-time NFL receiver Ricky Proehl, who later worked as the wide receivers coach from 2013-16 on the Carolina Panthers' st…

Bills

Can we have an honest conversation about the Buffalo Bills' defense? It overachieved by a country mile in 2017. Yes, the defense drove the bus on the Bills' road to the playoffs. But Sean McDermott and defensive chief Leslie Frazier had to squeeze every ounce of production possible out of the unit. The numbers are not pretty. The Bills ranked 26th in yards allowed, 2…

Bills

With their second-to-last pick of the NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills Saturday finally addressed a position of need by making former Clemson receiver Ray-Ray McCloud their sixth-round choice. The 5-foot-9, 190-pound McCloud finished his 40-game collegiate career with 127 receptions for 1,226 yards and four touchdowns. "Being drafted by the Buffalo Bills is an opportunit…