News Books for Kids collects new children’s books from the WNY community and distributes them to needy children who would not otherwise have a chance to own a book of their own. Organizations that service children and community service organization lending libraries are eligible to receive books from Books for Kids. The drive runs from April 1 - April 30.
News Books for Kids has distributed over 2.5 million books to needy children since it was established in 1995. In 2016 alone, 50,536 books were collected. News Books for Kids is sponsored by The Buffalo News, Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, Project Flight, WGRZ TV Channel 2, Wegmans, and Buffalo State College.
Project Flight, under the direction of Drs. Geraldine E. Bard and Betty J. Cappella, has been recognized by the New York State Department of Education for developing a suggested book list for educators, parents, children and young adults. Click here to download a copy of the booklist.
Books can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Wegmans - All locations in Erie and Niagara Counties.
- Buffalo and Erie County Public Libraries - All locations.
- The Buffalo News, Washington & Scott Sts.
- Dipson Movie Theatres - All locations in Erie and Niagara counties
- Mattress Firm - all Erie County locations
- Raymour & Flanigan - all Erie County locations
- Tom's Restaurant - 3221 Sheridan Dr., Amherst
For more information on Books for Kids, contact our Promotions department at (716) 849-5522. Mail monetary donations to: Project Flight, Books for Kids c/o Donations, 7954 Transit Rd, PMB205, Buffalo, NY 14221. Make checks payable to: Books for Kids/Project Flight.