July 20, 1930 – Jan. 11, 2018
Dr. George R. Baeumler, who headed the nuclear medicine departments at two hospitals, died Jan. 11 in Erie County Medical Center of complications from influenza. He was 87.
Born in Buffalo, Dr. Baeumler was a 1948 graduate of Fosdick Masten High School. He earned a doctor of dental surgery degree from the University of Buffalo in 1956 and his medical degree from the UB Medical School in 1959.
On June 6, 1960, Dr. Baeumler was an assisting physician at the first successful permanent implant of a heart pacemaker in the United States, at Millard Fillmore Hospital.
He served as director of the Nuclear Medicine Department at Kenmore Mercy Hospital from 1969 to 2014 and chief of the Nuclear Medicine Department at Buffalo General Medical Center from 1979 to 2010.
He was a clinical instructor in medicine and nuclear medicine at the UB Medical School from 1967 to 2010, and received the Collimator Award for Teaching Excellence in 2001 and 2004.
Dr. Baeumler was a member of the Erie County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Society, the Buffalo Academy of Medicine, the Society of Nuclear Medicine, the American College of Physicians, the American Thyroid Association and the American Association of Endocrinologists. He was a fellow in the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology.
His wife of 62 years, the former Bernice Johnson, taught English and history at Benjamin Franklin Middle School in the Town of Tonawanda.
Their extensive travels around the world included a voyage from New York to London aboard the Queen Mary.
A film buff, he and his wife attended movie theaters weekly. He enjoyed long walks in natural settings, particularly around Hoyt Lake in Delaware Park.
He was a devoted Buffalo Bills and UB Bulls football fan.
Survivors include a son, David; four daughters, Christine, Jane Alcala, Carolyn Baeumler-Bost and Lorain; and four grandchildren.
A graveside service was held Jan. 15 in Forest Lawn.