The 44 points St. Bonaventure's Jaylen Adams threw down on Saint Louis Wednesday night grabbed headlines. It was the highest point total by a Big 4 player since Adams' former teammate, Marcus Posley, went for 47 against Saint Joseph's on March 2, 2016. Before that, no Big 4 player had scored 44 points in a game since Bona center Andrew Nicholson poured in 44 during a four-overtime game against Ohio on Dec. 18, 2010.
Given the relative rarity it might seem to some – especially younger fans – that Adams' 44 point night must rank among the best – say, top 10 – in Big 4 history. Truth is, it's not all that close. In fact, that scoring splurge put Adams in a tie for 10th with Nicholson for single-game points by a Bonnie – let alone the cumulative Big 4. Niagara's Calvin Murphy, starting with his sophomore season in 1967, had 10 games over 47 or more all by himself.
Here are the top 10 scoring games by Big 4 players:
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 68 vs. Syracuse on Dec. 7, 1968
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 57 vs. Villa Madonna on Dec. 6, 1967
- Larry Fogle, Canisius: 55 vs. St. Peter's on Feb. 9, 1974
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 52 vs. La Salle on Dec. 16, 1967
- Bob Lanier, St. Bonaventure: 51 vs. Seton Hall on Feb. 24, 1969
- Larry Fogle, Canisius: 51 vs. George Washington on Dec. 28, 1973
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 50 vs. Syracuse on Feb. 28, 1968
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 50 vs. UB, Feb. 21, 1968
- Calvin Murphy, Niagara: 50 vs. St. Peter's, Feb. 17, 1968
- Bob Lanier, St. Bonaventure, 50 vs. Purdue, Dec. 30, 1969