Share this article

print logo

Two workers injured in chemical accident at Lewiston-Porter school pool

Two Lewiston-Porter School District employees were treated in Mount St. Mary's Hospital and released Tuesday after an accidental mixture of two chemicals in the high school's swimming pool filter room.

Although students were dismissed 45 minutes early and after-school activities at the high school were canceled, Superintendent Paul Casseri said the school will be open Wednesday.

Students and staff were evacuated from the high school's physical education wing about 9 a.m. Tuesday after what Lewiston Police Chief Frank Previte said was an accidental mixture of two liquids, hydrochloric acid and chlorine, in a drum.

Mark Hain, Niagara County deputy fire coordinator, said the woman who mixed the chemicals and a man who was exposed to fumes while shutting down the air handling system were treated at the hospital.

 

There are no comments - be the first to comment