Elton John has announced his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" world tour, and Buffalo got lucky, with a Sept. 15 stop at KeyBank Center. Like many of you, no doubt, I'm psyched for the opportunity to say "So long, and thanks for the music and the memories," in person.
My relationship with Elton has had its ups and downs, most notably, when he reacted, via his management, with outrage when I opined in my review of his 2003 appearance at HSBC Arena with Billy Joel that he had pretty much phoned it in.
The man was not happy with me, and neither were his fans, but I still love him, and am hoping that we can perhaps bury the hatchet by collaborating on his set-list for the Buffalo show. Sorry does indeed seem to be the hardest word, but if it will help – I'm sorry, Elton. You're one of the greatest songwriters and performers in rock history. And everyone knows it.
OK, I'm not holding my breath. But a guy can dream, can’t he?
Here's my fantasy Elton set-list:
- The Bitch Is Back
- Madman Across the Water
- Honky Cat
- Tiny Dancer
- Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy
- Come Down in Time
- Burn Down the Mission
- Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)
- Take Me To the Pilot
- The King Must Die
- Elderberry Wine
- Bennie and the Jets
- Grow Some Funk of Your Own
- Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word
- Cage the Songbird
- Postcards from Richard Nixon
- Eight Hundred Dollar Shoes
- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
- Crocodile Rock
- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
- Philadelphia Freedom
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me