Share this article

print logo

Cuomo proposes stronger gun law in domestic violence cases

ALBANY – Individuals convicted in all domestic violence cases, including misdemeanors, will be required to forfeit any guns they possess under a measure Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said he will propose in 2018.

"This year will be remembered as the year of reckoning, when both the tragedy of mass shootings and cultural and institutional harassment of women became impossible to ignore," Cuomo said Wednesday.

The plan, previously proposed but not passed by the Legislature, would close what critics say is a loophole. Possession of guns is banned for those convicted of felony or certain serious offences, but not misdemeanor-level domestic violence convictions, such as assault and battery.

This new plan would apply the gun possession prohibitions to domestic violence misdemeanor convictions, and expanded the list of weapons, to include to rifles and shotguns, that can be confiscated upon an order of protection issued by a judge or domestic violence crime conviction.

Sen. Diane Savino, a Staten Island Democrat who has sponsored the weapon ban measure in the past, said Albany “must take aim at this flaw in the law and ensure firearms never wind up in the hands of domestic abusers in our state.’’

There are no comments - be the first to comment