Niagara's historic treasures to open their doors to the public - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Niagara's historic treasures to open their doors to the public

Eight historic and interesting Niagara Falls properties, ranging from a newly opened hotel in a one-time chocolate factory to private homes and churches, will be open to the public as part of the ticketed "Niagara's Treasures Tour" from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 18.

The tour is being offered by the Niagara Falls Historic Preservation Society and the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center in honor of the 125th anniversary of the city of Niagara Falls.

"Some of the properties have historic significance, some are just interesting," said Thomas Batt, president of the Niagara Falls Historic Preservation Society, which was founded in 2006 to educate people on the value of historic properties.

The following sites are open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with docents providing a short tour at each place:

  • Historic Holy Trinity Church, 1419 Falls St., hosted by Marg Domagalski.
  • Power City Building, 225 Old Falls St., hosted by Anthony Girasole.
  • Aaron House, 411 Ferry Ave., hosted by Joe and Katherine Cardosi.
  • Red Coach Inn, 2 Buffalo Ave., hosted by Tom Reese and Mark Janiszewski.
  • Courtyard by Marriott in the old chocolate factory at 900 Buffalo Ave., hosted by Nirel Patel and Matt Green.
  • Woodcrest, 327 Buffalo Ave., hosted by Jay and Katie Haywood.
  • Oppenheim House, 695 Chilton Ave., hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Michael Daniels.
  • The Tatler-Porter Mansion, 6 Fourth St., also will be the site of a reception from 4:30 to 6 p.m., hosted by Mary Norton.
  • At 1 p.m., Ed Riley will talk about the Hotel Niagara at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 140 Rainbow Blvd.

Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. To reserve tickets, call the NAAC at 282-7530, Ext. 3.

There are no comments - be the first to comment