We know there's no homeroom today. But we're up and ready to go.
Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Saturday
1. Football - Week Nine Saturday
There are five local games on today's schedule, three of which come in the Section VI playoffs:
- Class B: Maryvale at Lackawanna, 1 p.m.
- Class C: Silver Creek/Forestville at Cleveland Hill, 2 p.m.
Defending-champ Cleveland Hill continued its domination last week in a 60-10 win over Allegany-Limestone, and in the process picked up Glen Graham's 100th career win. Silver Creek is playing as good as anybody right now. The Black Knights have won six games in a row after starting the year with losses against Wilson and Southwestern. They blew out JFK last week, 41-14.
Miguel Rodriguez previewed the Lackawanna-Maryvale matchup in his Prep Talk column:
Four Monsignor Martin teams are in action this afternoon as well:
- Cathedral Prep (Pa.) at Canisius, 1 p.m.
- McDowell (Pa.) at St. Joe's, 1 p.m.
- St. Mary's of Lancaster at Cardinal O'Hara, 1 p.m.
2. Girls soccer - Class A, B, C & D finals
- 1-Grand Island vs. 2-Williamsville East, 3 p.m. at Williamsville North
- 1-Pioneer vs. 2-East Aurora, 5 p.m. at Williamsville North
Grand Island-Williamsville East is a rematch of last season's final, which the Vikings won, 3-1. Pioneer and East Aurora are familiar with each other having played twice in ECIC III. The Panthers won the first game, 2-0, and tied the second game, 3-3. It's the only blemish on Pioneer's otherwise perfect 17-0-1 record.
Winners advance to the Overall Class A final Tuesday at Williamsville South.
- 2-Newfane vs. 8-Albion, 11 a.m. at Williamsville North
- 2-Akron vs. 4-Wilson, 1 p.m. at Williamsville North
The top four teams from the Niagara-Orleans League are the four teams left in Class B. Defending-champ Newfane tied with Albion early in the season, 6-6, and then beat the Purple Eagles, 4-0. Akron and Wilson split during the regular season, each winning 1-0 games.
Winners advance to the Overall Class B final Tuesday at Williamsville South.
- 1-Maple Grove vs. 3-Allegany-Limestone, 3:30 p.m. at Dunkirk
- 1-North Collins vs. 2-Frewsburg, 1:30 p.m. at Dunkirk
Maple Grove and North Collins look to repeat as sectional champions. The Red Dragons are perfect at 18-0, just like they were last season until they lost in the Far West Regionals in penalty kicks. The Gators only have one loss this season, to Pioneer.
North Collins and Frewsburg tied, 2-2, in early September before the Eagles won a 2-1 game in overtime three weeks later.
Winners advance to next weekend's Far West Regionals at Williamsville South. Class D is Friday, while Class C is Saturday.
3. Boys soccer - Class AA final
Top-seeded Clarence looks to repeat as sectional champs against No. 3 Williamsville North at 7 p.m. at Sweet Home High School.
The Red Devils (16-1-1) beat North by 1-0 and 2-1 scores in the regular season. The first game went to overtime. Their only loss came at Cathedral Prep, 1-0. Junior forward Ross Showalter leads a balanced offense with 18 goals.
The Spartans (14-3) are led offensively by Justin Bonetto's 22 goals. They avenged their only other loss of the season to Lancaster by shutting out the second-seeded Legends, 2-0, in the semifinals.
4. Cross country - League championships
There are three league championship meets on Saturday's schedule:
- ECIC Championships, 10 a.m. at Alden High School
- Niagara-Orleans Championships, 10 a.m. at Lakeside Beach State Park
- Niagara Frontier Championships, noon at Beaver Island State Park
5. Gymnastics - Halloween Invitational
This season's Halloween Invitational starts at 9 a.m. at Kenmore Middle School. It's the last big gymnastics meet before Thursday's Section VI Championships at Clarence High School.
- Girls tennis: NYSPHSAA Championships at Tri-City Tennis Center in Latham, N.Y.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
Story topics: Homeroom Announcements