The 12 floors inside the new John R. Oishei Children's Hospital opening soon on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus each have distinct themes to highlight their connection to Buffalo – from the Spirit of Buffalo, to City of Good Neighbors, parks and gardens, sports, imagination and more.
The $270 million hospital opening Nov. 10 has the following themes that also feature coordinating art and photographs. The floors are designated by specific color schemes and symbols, all of which tie into an improved wayfinding system and simplified floor layout designed to improve patient flow.
- City of Lights: Lower level, for staff. Materials management, blood bank, laboratory, pathology, sterile processing are based here.
- Spirit of Buffalo: First floor. The Alfiero Family/Emergency Care Center, emergency room operations; as well as the New Era Cap Pavilion, lobby and gift shop.
- City of Good Neighbors: Second floor. Tops Friendly Markets Ambulatory Surgical Center., operating rooms, Joe's Deli, outdoor patio/terrace, public walkway to Oishei Children's Outpatient Center and Buffalo General Medical Center.
- Water: Third floor. Labor & Delivery, inpatient operating rooms and related care.
- Seasons: Fourth floor. The Children's Guild Foundation Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, divided into four areas: three with self-contained patient areas with its own team of nurses and physicians and a fourth with family area with seating space, lockers, bathroom and laundry facilities.
- Parks & Gardens: Fifth floor. The Fisher-Price/Mattel Family & Child Support Services Floor, including a family resource center, pastoral care, chapel, Stone Buddies, indoor meditation garden.
- Sixth floor: Mechanical.
- Music & Theater: Seventh floor, The Buffalo News Infusion Dialysis Pharmacy Floor.
- Animals: Eighth floor, Tops Friendly Markets Mother-Baby Unit, 24 private rooms with bathrooms and shower.
- Arts & Culture: Ninth floor, The Alfiero Family Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- Sports: 10th floor. Pediatric medical/surgical floor.
- Imagination: 11th floor. Walmart/Sam's Club pediatric medical/surgical floor.
- Discovery: 12th floor. Hematology/oncology & epilepsy monitoring unit.