* Pioneer Panthers (5-2) at Lackawanna Steelers (6-1), 1 p.m. at Veterans Stadium. The Section VI tournament continues Saturday, including this quarterfinal featuring the top-seeded team in Class B -- the Steelers.
Points might be hard to come by as Lackawanna yielded the fewest points (70) in Class B, while Pioneer gave up the third fewest (94).
The Steelers have been led on both sides of the ball all season by third-year starter Khalil Horton who hits players hard at his linebacker spot and does so as well when he runs the ball at tailback. Jakwon Ingram also has been a force at defensive end for Lackawanna. Lightning quick off the snap, he has 14 sacks and averages close to 10 tackles per game. The Smith twins – Noble and London – have been a dangerous playmaking combination through the air for the Steelers, who last season reached the semifinals.
Pioneer relies on a power offense and ran and scored its way into a playoff spot last week with 39-12 win over Burgard. Seniors Wake Kless and Caleb Riordan are a tough duo at running back.
Last week, Kless ran for 178 yards on 26 carries and a 12-yard touchdown, while Riordan carried the ball 23 times for 123 yards and two TDs. Mike Rigerman is a fine two-way player as he scored on a 66-yard catch last week and added 13 tackles.
In other playoff games Saturday:
* Catt/Little Valley Timberwolves (3-4) at Clymer/Sherman/Panama (5-2), 1:30 p.m. at Sherman. Class D quarterfinal with the 20th ranked team in the state in C/S/P looking to score its second win of the season over the Timberwolves. CSP won the Week Two meeting, 41-18.
* Allegany-Limestone Gators (2-5) at Cleveland Hill Golden Eagles (6-1), 2 p.m. at Carl J. Kuras Field. The defending Section VI Class C champion Golden Eagles have won their last six games and outscored their foes 154-12 in their last three games. A/L hung tough last week in 7-3 loss to Class C South Division champion Southwestern.
From Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from Friday night’s action, including photo galleries and a live blog of how the night transpired. Our scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
Our #PrepTalkLive coverage continues with today’s games. No matter when the games are, you can again be part of the team via Twitter: Tweet game updates with the #preptalklive hashtag and those updates will appear in our live blogs.
2017 Football Polls
Rk. School (Cl.) Record Pts LW
Rk. School (Cl.) Rec Pts LW
- Lancaster  (AA) 7-0 98 2
- Canisius  5-2 88 1
- West Seneca West (A) 7-0 78 3
- Williamsville North (AA) 7-0 71 4
- South Park (A) 7-0 63 5
- Grand Island (A) 6-1 51 6
- Starpoint (A) 6-1 33 7
- St. Francis 3-4 20 8
- West Seneca East (A) 4-3 12 9
- Orchard Park (AA) 4-3 11 NR
Rk. School (Cl.) Rec Pts LW
- Cheektowaga  (B) 6-1 100 2
- Maryvale (B) 6-1 86 1
- Franklinville/Ellicott(D) 7-0 73 4
- Cleveland Hill (C) 6-1 67 5
- Lackawanna (B) 6-1 62 6
- Dunkirk (B) 6-1 57 3
- Albion (B) 6-1 40 7
- Newfane (B) 6-1 31 8
- Maple Grove (D) 6-1 18 9
- Southwestern (C) 5-2 14 10