Donations to help Puerto Rico residents in the wake of Hurricane Maria have been set up across the Buffalo region.
Items will be accepted through Oct. 6 at the following locations:
- Buffalo City Hall and all Erie County government offices
- All three campuses of Erie Community College
- The Belle Center, 104 Maryland St.
- St. Anthony's Church, 306 Ingham Ave., Lackawanna
- Salvation Army, 278 W. Ferry St.
- Food Bank of WNY, 91 Holt St.
Donations are being collected at the Connecticut Street Armory from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily at least through the end of the week (all items must be new, unopened and in their original packaging). They can be dropped off on the Vermont Street side of the armory. The following items are being accepted:
- Cases of baby formula (no individual cans)
- Diapers (children and adult)
- Sanitary wipes
- Cases of water
- Flashlights, battery-operated camping lanterns and sealed packs of batteries (no lithium batteries)
- Tarps and blankets
- Battery-operated portable radios
- Personal first-aid kits
- Feminine hygiene products
The Belle Center is also accepting paper products, pet food, bug spray, solar lights and solar batteries, candles, canned food and manual can openers.
Donations also will be accepted during a hurricane relief car show from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 1, at 544 Niagara St.
Locally, there is a GoFundMe page that's been set up by the Belle Center.
Checks can also be mailed to the Belle Center, 104 Maryland St., Buffalo, N.Y. 14201. Checks should be made payable to the Belle Center with "Puerto Rico Hurricane Maria Relief Fund" written in the memo area.
The Belle Center has set up a relief fund account at M&T Bank, and donations may be made at any local branch. Anyone can donate by check but only M&T customers may donate cash.
Donations also may be made online to:
- American Red Cross – redcross.org, or call 1-800-RedCross, or text "Maria" to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Hurricane Maria relief efforts to all islands affected.
- Catholic Charities – catholiccharitiesusa.org
- Hispanic Federation – hispanicfederation.org/unidos
- Salvation Army – salvationarmy.org
- United Way – unitedway.org
Anyone interested in volunteering to help with local collection of relief efforts may call the Belle Center at 716-845-0485 or Maritza Vega 716-703-8342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the local effort
Call the Belle Center, 716-845-0485.