There are styles one can always count on seeing on the red carpets, and Sunday’s 69th annual Primetime Emmy Awards were no exception.
Low-plunging necklines? Check.
A few colorful tuxes? Check.
Black, red and white glamorous gowns? Check. Check. Check.
Fashion-watchers had more to take in, however, as the stars arrived for the big night.
A few not-to-be-missed trends:
• Unfussy hair. Whether it was pulled back in a glossy ballerina bun or chignon (Millie Bobby Brown, Yvonne Strahovski), brushed back from the forehead (Laverne Cox, Regina King) or worn down – either straight or wavy (Reese Witherspoon, Elisabeth Moss, Sarah Hyland), the hair trend of the night was slick and controlled. Zoe Kravitz’s pixie cut also stood out.
• Big earrings. For the most part, statement necklaces had the night off – replaced by oversized earrings: dangling, cascading, star- or diamond-shaped and more. Heidi Klum’s oval-shaped hoops were absolutely huge. There must be some hurting earlobes in Hollywood today.
• Feathers. Not everyone may be tickled by the trend that comes straight from the runways, but feathers adorned gowns worn by Zoe Kravitz and Tracee Ellis Ross. Kravitz’s gown was fashioned with a black feathered top and colorful feathered skirt. Ross’ silver sparkly gown had a white feathered bottom. Laura Dern and Priyanka Chopra were two others who wore feathered gowns. Unlike some feathered runway creations of the past, however, no images of Big Bird came to mind.
• Sleeves or no sleeves: Many actresses wore sleeveless gowns styled with deep-V necklines. Others – including Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss ("The Handmaid’s Tale") – went strapless. But some stuck with other styles that have been popular in recent seasons – one-shoulder (Rachel Reichard); fluttery (Yara Shahidi) and long-sleeved (Reese Witherspoon and Gina Rodriguez). Always tougher to wear are voluminous sleeves, but Ross and Sarah Paulson, who wore a sparkly silver Carolina Herrera shown during New York Fashion Week, pulled it off.
• Prints and bold color: It’s always a nice change to see some patterns on the red carpet and Sunday night saw plenty of them. It wasn’t just the floral and paisley gowns. The men went for pattern, too. Deon Cole of “Black-ish” went mad for plaid. “Stranger Things” young actor Caleb McLaughlin looked dashing in a brocade jacket in shades of purple.
Both the women and men sometimes went with bold color. Viola Davis in orange. Tituss Burgess in golden mustard.
But the award for most colorful gown has to go to Tessa Thompson, whose gown looked like a rainbow.