Here are five activities in Western New York that can help you get out and walk:
1. Walking on Wednesday: Brisk, 30-minute walk at noon Wednesdays through August, Kaminski Park outside Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton streets.
2. Building a Healthy Buffalo Community Panel: The Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo will host a presentation by Buffalo City Public Works, Parks & Streets Commissioner Steven Stepniak, landscape architect Joy Kuebler, regional transportation planner Kelly Dixon, and Kate Kraft, executive director of America Walks, a national walkability advocacy group. Refresh Editor Scott Scanlon will moderate.
The event will run from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Aug. 19 in the Hotel Henry, 444 Forest Ave.; a walk on the grounds of the surrounding Richardson campus will follow. The workshop is free. Municipal officials, planners and members of the public are encouraged to attend. Registration is required by calling 851-4052 or online by clicking here.
3. WNY Refresh Walk and Wellness Fair: 9 a.m. to noon, Aug. 26, Ellicott Creek Park, 1 Ellicott Creek Drive, Town of Tonawanda. Events include a 9:15 a.m. Exercise Like the Animals fitness class for kids of all ages; a 10 a.m. family wellness walk; and an 11 a.m. group fitness class by Shannon's Fitness & Dance. All are free. For vendor and other information, call 851-4052 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. State Parks hiking series: Gorge hikes, 4:30 p.m. Aug. 26, Whirlpool State Park, Niagara Falls; 6 p.m. Sept. 16, Niagara Falls State Park – to register and for information, call 282-5154; Forest hike, 10 a.m. Aug. 26, Evangola State Park, Irving – to register and for information, call 549-1050; adventure walk, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 1, Goat Island, Niagara Falls State Park – to register and for information, call 282-5154; moonlight walk, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 6, woodland waterfalls walk, 3 p.m. Sept. 23, and search for nocturnal creatures walk, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 23, Knox Farm State Park, East Aurora - to register and for information on the three walks, call 549-1050. All these walks are free.
5. Explore Buffalo: Offers regular walking tours of Buffalo neighborhoods and other communities including Clarence Hollow, East Aurora, Lancaster, Lockport and North Tonawanda. Cost is usually $5 to $15. Sign up and learn more at explorebuffalo.org.