People passing by Parkside Candy in University Heights could be excused for doing a double take.
For as long as many can remember, the twin 1940s-era signs over the entrance to the shop, located at 3208 Main St., had looked rusted and rundown. That all changed Thursday – when two brand-new, Art Deco-style replicas were hoisted by crane above the candy and ice cream shop's entrance.
Now, a brightly colored "Parkside Candies" appears once again in script in white lettering, outlined in black against a chocolate-colored backdrop. The larger of the two signs has a blue circle behind the "P" in Parkside. Underneath, in white lettering on a green background, are the familiar words "Ice Cream - Candies - Luncheon."
Stripes between and underneath the words are accented in mustard yellow. The neon signs will light up at night. An awning – expected to be installed this week – will complete Parkside's exterior restoration, which also included repointing, recaulking and repairing the two-story brick and stone facade.
The building's interior was completed earlier this year. The cream-colored, oval-domed plaster ceiling was repaired and painted, walnut wood moldings were refinished, LED lights were installed in chocolate candy display cases, pistachio-green walls were painted with a color specially mixed by Sherwin-Williams and a white-and-black tile floor was installed.
Returning the candy shop to its 1927 glory cost $230,000. The work was made possible by the commitment of owner Philip Buffamonte and a matching grant from the Buffalo Billion economic development initiative.
In 2015, the building and connecting daylight factory were listed on the National Register of Historic Places.