Share this article

print logo

Kitchen exhaust pipe sparks blaze at Chautauqua Lake restaurant

A chimney pipe caused a fire that damaged a restaurant in Bemus Point on Chautauqua Lake Wednesday night, according to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office.

Employees and patrons were inside the Ye Hare 'n Hounds Inn on Lakeside Drive when the blaze started in the rear of the building off the kitchen just after 9 p.m., deputies said.

No injuries were reported.

Investigators found an exhaust chimney pipe from the kitchen broiler had deteriorated and allowed heat from the broiler to get into the studs in the wall, which allowed the fire to spread to the second floor, the Sheriff's Office said.

Eight fire companies responded to the scene, along with other emergency officials.

No damage estimate was immediately available, though officials said the building sustained fire, water and heat damage throughout.

There are no comments - be the first to comment