Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Thursday
1. Softball - Class AA prequarterfinals; Class A, B & C quarterfinals
Thursday's the first busy day of the Section VI softball postseason with 26 games across all classes except Class D. All start at 4:45 p.m. unless noted otherwise.
- 9-Niagara Falls at 8-Clarence
- 10-Jamestown at 7-Lockport
- 8-North Tonawanda at 1-Wmsv. East
- 5-Hamburg at 4-Grand Island
- 6-West Seneca West at 3-Wmsv. South
- 7-Sweet Home at 2-West Seneca East
- 8-Lake Shore at 1-Lew-Port
- 5-Starpoint at 4-Amherst
- 7-Kenmore East at 2-Maryvale
- 6-Iroquois at 3-Olean
The winners from Class AA advance to Tuesday's quarterfinals, where No. 1 Lancaster and No. 2 Orchard Park await. Clarence has been highly-ranked in the large schools poll throughout the season. The Red Devils lost 4-3 and 9-1 games to the undefeated Legends in ECIC I, so that could be an upset possibility.
Five teams in the Class A field were voted in the top nine of the most recent large schools poll, and Olean, Iroquois and Maryvale were all honorable mention. The semifinals start on Tuesday, with the finals Thursday at Williamsville North.
- 9-East Aurora at 1-Depew
- 5-Newfane at 4-Tonawanda, 4 p.m.
- 7-Dunkirk at 2-Alden
- 6-Springville at 3-City Honors
- 8-Gowanda at 1-Eden
- 5-Akron at 4-Roy-Hart
- 10-Wilson at 2-Fredonia
- 6-Southwestern at 3-Medina
The top five and six of the top seven teams in the small schools poll are from Class B. Newfane, Medina and Southwestern are all honorable mention. The top matchup of the day appears to be No. 7 small school Roy-Hart hosting No. 5 small school Akron in Class B-2. The Tigers swept the Rams in Niagara-Orleans League play with close 6-5 and 9-7 wins. Semifinals start Tuesday, with the finals at Williamsville North on Thursday.
- 8-Falconer at 1-Cleveland Hill
- 5-Middle College at 4-Chautauqua Lake
- 6-Allegany-Limestone at 3-Cassadaga Valley
- 7-Salamanca at 2-Tapestry
- 8-Barker at 1-Portville
- 5-Holland at 4-Cattaraugus/Little Valley
- 6-Randolph at 3-Maple Grove
- 7-Silver Creek at 2-Frewsburg
Cleveland Hill, at No. 6, is the lone Class C school in the small schools poll. Portville and Cassadaga Valley are both honorable mention. The semifinals start on Tuesday, with the finals Thursday at Prommenschenkel Park in Dunkirk.
2. Baseball - Class A & B prequarterfinals
The Section VI baseball postseason gets underway with eight games across Class A and B on Thursday. Winners have a quick turnaround with quarterfinal matchups on Friday. All games start at 5 p.m.
- 9-West Seneca West at 8-West Seneca East
- 9-Pioneer at 8-Amherst
- 10-Cheektowaga at 7-Lake Shore
Crosstown rivals West Seneca East and West Seneca West play for the first time this season, with the winner visiting top-seeded Williamsville East tomorrow. In Class A-2, the Amherst-Pioneer winner heads to No. 1 Starpoint on Friday, while the Lake Shore-Cheektowaga winner visits No. 2 Maryvale.
- 9-Newfane at 8-East Aurora
- 9-Medina at 8-Southwestern
- 12-Lackawanna at 5-Eden
- 11-JFK at 6-Wilson
- 10-Akron at 7-Gowanda
The top teams in action on Thursday come from the Class B-2 bracket. Eden's No. 6 and Wilson's No. 8 in the most recent small schools poll. Gowanda, although unranked, features one of the top players in the area in returning All-Western New Yorker Matt Kruszka.
3. Boys lacrosse - Akron at Clarence, 7 p.m.
Akron (14-1) and Clarence (10-5) wrap up their regular season schedules with this nonleague showdown under the lights.
The Tigers clinched the first-ever Class D title on Tuesday in a 12-11 overtime win against Eden. Kaleb Delaney scored his lone goal of the game with 2:20 left in overtime to complete Akron's perfect 12-0 league season. Junior Nelson Logan had four goals and an assist, while classmate Owen Hill had a pair of goals and six assists.
The Red Devils have rebounded from an uncharacteristic 5-12 record last season to share the Class A crown with Orchard Park and Lancaster. Clarence dropped a 9-8 overtime game to Lancaster but beat Orchard Park on May 9, 9-8. Orchard Park beat Lancaster back on March 30, 10-8. Junior midfielder Jake Bowman leads Clarence in goals and assists.
The sectional seedings meeting takes place tonight, so the brackets should be released sometime after 7 p.m. The play-in round, if needed, will be Friday. Quarterfinals start on Tuesday.
- Girls lacrosse: Niagara Wheatfield at Amherst, 5:30 p.m.
- Track & field: Niagara-Orleans League Championships at Akron
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
High School Extra (May 18): Frontier tops girls lax rival Lancaster, plus much more
* * *