A full slate of events to celebrate Earth Day, which is April 22, will take place in Buffalo throughout April and May, according to Mayor Byron W. Brown, who released the following schedule of activities:
- Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: D'You Green at D'Youville College's CCKurt Dining Hall, 329 Porter Ave. Keynote speaker is college President Lorrie Clemo. For more information, contact Leanne Schad at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon: Modern Recycling Open House, 266 Hopkins St. City residents are encouraged to learn how their recycling is handled after it is collected at the curb. Refreshments will be served.
- April 18 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.: Elmwood Village Association Spring Clean Up No. 1. Volunteers will split up into groups and distribute supplies for cleanup and beautification from Bryant Street to Auburn Avenue. Online sign-up and additional information available at http://elmwoodvillage.org.
- April 19 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Arbor Day Foundation Free Tree Distribution at Niagara Square. Five hundred, two-gallon potted yard trees will be given out.
- April 20 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Elmwood Village Association Spring Clean Up No. 2 will cover Bryant to Allen streets. Online sign-up for volunteers and additional information available at http://elmwoodvillage.org.
- April 22 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Re-Tree WNY/Buffalo Green Fund citywide tree-planting event. Volunteers will plant more than 130 shade and ornamental sidewalk trees as well as 30 trees in McCarthy Park to replace ones lost to emerald ash borer infestations.
- April 22 from 10 a.m. to noon: Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper Spring Shoreline Sweep. More than 1,500 volunteers will help clean up 40 locations in Erie and Niagara counties, including 17 sites in the City of Buffalo. For more information on how to volunteer, call 852-7483, Ext. 26.
- April 22 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Elmwood Village Association Spring Clean Up No. 3 will cover Forest to Auburn avenues. Online sign-up and additional information available at http://elmwoodvillage.org.
- April 22 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Western New York Coalition for Donated Goods and the Walden Galleria will hold a used clothing collection event near Lord & Taylor department store. Donors will receive a reusable water tumbler and a Walden Galleria coupon book.
- April 22 from 1 to 3 p.m.: Buffalo March for Science from Soldier's Circle to Delaware Park near the Rose Garden. The march will conclude with a science festival. For more information, visit march4sciencebuffalo.com.
- April 28 at 1:30 p.m.: Annual Ceremonial City Hall Tree Planting at Welch Monument Triangle Park next to City Hall.
- April 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Tours of the City of Buffalo's Col. Ward Pumping Station at 2 Porter Ave. in LaSalle Park. Learn how the plant treats and distributes 90 million gallons of water every day.
- May 20 from 9 a.m. to noon: 34andMore community shredding of household/personal documents; WNY Coalition for Donated Goods clothing/shoe recycling drop off; and GObike Buffalo bicycle recycling drop off at Citizens Alliance, 836 E. Delavan Ave.
For additional information on events, visit city-buffalo.com.
Story topics: Shared