Buffalo's historic Colored Musicians Club, the oldest continually operating club of its kind in the nation, wants to put a 500-square-foot addition on its narrow brick building on Broadway to house a new elevator, as well as a stairwell.
Plans by Stieglitz Snyder Architecture for the century-old jazz club call for a brick addition on the east side of the two-story building at 145 Broadway. Patrons will come in from the street through a new corner entrance, with a red, angled canvas awning and three benches in front.
The project will be considered this week by the Historic Preservation Board.
Founded in February 1917 as a musicians' union and later social organization, the Colored Musicians Club is the only remaining African-American musical club in the country. It's been housed at its current site, a former vacant storefront, since 1934. The building became a historic landmark in 1979 and a historic preservation site in 1999.
Story topics: Shared