St. Bonaventure star point guard Jaylen Adams will enter his name into the 2017 NBA Draft but will not sign with an agent, he told TheVertical.com Tuesday evening.
The move does not yet mean Adams will not return to Bona for his senior season. The 6-foot-2 junior guard is a two-time first-team All-Atlantic 10 Conference pick. It is common for prominent underclassmen who have been scouted by NBA teams during the college season to declare for the draft to receive closer evaluation by NBA teams and get a better indication of their standing.
"Jay and I have talked about this opportunity, and I support his decision," said Bona coach Mark Schmidt, in a statement released by the school. "He is going to take advantage of the NCAA rules, which allow him to test the waters, so to speak. It's a great chance for him to grow as a basketball player."
Underclassmen must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft, which will be hend June 22. A player may withdraw his name from consideration at any time before the final declaration date, which is May 24, 10 days after the final day of the annual NBA Combine. Last year roughly 55 underclassmen who declared for the draft without signing with an agent ultimately withdrew their name from the list to retain their college eligibility.
Adams ranked 24th in the nation in scoring this season at 20.6 points a game. He was seventh in the nation in assists at 6.5 a game. His 195 assists were the second-best total in Bona history. He finished second in the nation and 22nd in the nation in steals, at 2.2 a game. He has 1,377 career points.