Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Wednesday
1. Boys hockey - Section VI small schools semifinals at HarborCenter
1-Williamsville East vs. 7-West Seneca East, 6 p.m.
The top-seeded Flames held off a pesky 11-North Tonawanda crew in the quarterfinals, 6-4. Mike Steffan and Jack Kelly each scored twice for East, which has made it to the final every year since 2012. The Trojans got by 10-Williamsville South in the quarters, 4-3, and routed 3-Grand Island in the semis, 5-1.
2-Hamburg vs. 4-Kenmore West, 8:30 p.m.
The Bulldogs topped 8-Lew-Port in the quarters, 5-2. Owen Gonter scored twice 53 seconds apart to break a 2-2 tie in the third period. Jake Hangen had a goal and two assists. Ben Serrano's two goals helped the Blue Devils sneak by crosstown rival 5-Kenmore East, 2-1, in Sunday's quarterfinal matchup.
Winners move on to next week's Super Monday final at 8:30 p.m. at KeyBank Center.
2. Boys basketball - Section VI prequarterfinals
- 9-Niagara-Wheatfield at 8-Clarence, 7 p.m.
- 10-Frontier at 7-Orchard Park, 7 p.m.
- 9-Hutch-Tech at 8-Hamburg, 7 p.m.
- 10-West Seneca West at 7-Williamsville East, 7 p.m.
- 9-Iroquois at 8-Starpoint, 7 p.m.
- 10-Kenmore East at 7-Lew-Port, 7 p.m.
- 11-Lake Shore at 6-Pioneer, 7 p.m.
A couple of the games among large schools are rematches between teams in the same league. Orchard Park swept Frontier in ECIC I, Pioneer swept Lake Shore in ECIC III and Lew-Port did the same to Kenmore East in the Niagara Frontier League.
No. 8 vs. No. 9 matchups are usually pretty fun, and Wheatfield eighth-grader Jalen Bradberry gets his first taste of Section VI playoff action when the Falcons visit Clarence. The Red Devils ended the regular season strong with four straight wins, including one over Williamsville North.
- 16-Emerson vs. 8-Burgard, 7 p.m. at MST Seneca
- 12-Albion at 5-Dunkirk, 7 p.m.
- 10-Fredonia at 7-I-Prep/Grover, 7 p.m.
- 14-CSAT at 6-Depew, 7 p.m.
- 9-JFK at 8-Gowanda, 7 p.m.
- 12-Buffalo Arts/13-Southwestern vs. 5-Middle College, 7 p.m. at City Honors
- 10-Roy-Hart vs. 7-Lafayette, 7 p.m. at Grabiarz School
- 11-Oracle at 6-Wilson, 7 p.m.
- 9-Buffalo Science at 8-Westfield, 7 p.m.
- 10-Silver Creek at 7-Global Concepts, 7 p.m.
In Class B-1, Emerson (1-20) got its first win of the season last night in a 71-53 upset over No. 9 Alden. The Eagles now play Burgard, which swept the Yale Cup I season series with 76-34 and 60-51 wins.
Gowanda looks like a tough eight seed in Class B-2. The Panthers have a pair of 300-point scorers in Nate Brawdy and Jarmani Benton who know how to fill up the basket. Winner between them and JFK head to No. 1 Medina on Friday.
- Boys hockey: 3-Nichols at 2-Upper Canada College, 3:30 p.m. in game one of best-of-three CISAA semifinals
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
Scholastic Spotlight: Sherman's Mel Swanson ready to step away from coaching
Girls basketball sectional preview: Favorites, contenders & sleepers in an unpredictable year
Section VI boys hockey semifinals
Story: Williamsville North, Lancaster advance to large schools final
Photo gallery: Williamsville North 5, Niagara Falls 0
Photo gallery: Lancaster 3, Niagara Wheatfield 1
Boys basketball: Manhattan Cup playoff schedule
Club hockey: Super Sunday matchups set as postseason continues
High School Extra (Feb. 22): Timon, St. Francis tie for Monsignor Martin title, plus much more
* * *
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post