An Erie County judge has dismissed murder charges against the man accused of driving the shooter to and from the scene when Freddie Dizon was killed at the Anchor Bar on May 20.
Defendants Jorge L. Suarez, 26, and Gregory Ramos, 25, both appeared before Judge Thomas P. Franczyk last week for motions in their case. The judge ordered that Suarez, the alleged gunman, continue to be held without bail and set his trial date for Feb. 14.
However, Franczyk granted a motion by Ramos’s attorney, Joseph J. Terranova, to dismiss the charges against Ramos on the basis of insufficient evidence presented to the grand jury.
The District Attorney’s Office is free to resubmit the case to another grand jury, and Acting District Attorney Michael J. Flaherty Jr. – who leaves office at the end of the year – says he is confidant prosecutors will get a second indictment against Ramos.
According to information from police and prosecutors, Dizon had told others that he thought he was being followed after he posted messages on social media accusing another man of molesting children. He was still fearful May 20 when he arrived for work at the Anchor Bar at 1047 Main St.
Witness said that at about 7 p.m. that night, a gunman came into the kitchen looking for Dizon, who was a cook at the restaurant. He found the victim in a hallway and shot him. Dizon staggered into the restaurant area while the gunman fled.
Ramos was the first suspect arrested in the case. Flaherty previously said that, although Ramos never went in the restaurant, he was also charged with murder because of “shared intent” with the killer.
Franczyk ruled that the grand jury evidence was not enough to support that charge.
Ramos remains in custody, however, awaiting disposition of federal drug and weapons charges and of a domestic violence case that is pending in state court. In that case, he is accused of trying to strangle the mother of his two children and of fleeing from a police officer.
Story topics: Erie County Court