Grand Island fire guts workshop - The Buffalo News

Share this article

print logo

Grand Island fire guts workshop

A fire that did $80,000 damage to a Grand Island workshop Wednesday has been ruled accidental.

The fire at the workshop next to the home of a First Street resident broke out shortly before 11 a.m. on Wednesday. Grand Island Fire Chief Matt Osinski said the building, which was not attached to the house, was "belching heavy smoke from an interior fire" when crews arrived.

The blaze was brought under control by 11:10, but because of the building's construction, including heavy insulation and attic storage space, it took a lot of work to fully extinguish the fire.

No one was hurt. Damage was estimated at $30,000 to the structure and $50,000 to tools and materials, according to fire officials.

Sheridan Park volunteer firefighters and the City of Tonawanda Fire Department provided assistance during the fire.

There are no comments - be the first to comment