Share this article

print logo

Utility offers common-sense tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

As temperatures drop and heating systems switch on, New York State Electric and Gas is reminding residents how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

The odorless carbon monoxide is produced by gas and oil furnaces, gas stoves and water heaters and automobile exhaust, and  can accumulate in enclosed areas when these appliances  are operating improperly or not vented properly.

Warning signs of poisoning include flu-like symptoms including  headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning, responsible for 400 deaths a year and for sending 20,000 people to the emergency room.

The utility recommends  carbon monoxide detectors, heating system inspections and exhaust fans near gas stoves. Never use generators, charcoal grills, camp stoves or any other gas-burning appliance indoors or or other confined space. Also,  never leave a car running in an attached garage, even if the garage door is open.

 

Story topics: /

There are no comments - be the first to comment