Here's how neighboring school districts are responding today to the massive fire at the former Bethlehem Steel plant in Lackawanna.
- The Frontier Central School District has activated an automated telephone message to parents of students alerting them that Pinehurst Elementary School pupils are unaffected by the fire and are being kept indoors at their school, as are students at the middle school and the high school.
- Pupils at Big Tree Elementary School have been bused to Pinehurst, while those at Cloverbank Elementary have been transported to Lake Shore High School on Beach Road in the Village of Angola. Parents and guardians with proper identification may pick up their children bewteen 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Pupils at Blasdell Elementary School have been transported to Lake Shore Middle School on Erie Road in the Village of Angola. Parents and guardians with proper identification may pick up their children between 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Frontier Central has updated its website to advise that, if the Town of Hamburg has not lifted its "shelter in place"edict by 2 p.m., pupils will at Cloverbank and Blasdell will remain at the respective schools to which they have been transported. Any pupils who have not been picked up by their parent or guardian will be bused home once the edict has been lifted by the town.
- Pinehurst pupils will be dismissed once the "shelter in place is lifted.
- The district also announced that all afternoon and evening activities in the district have been cancelled.
- Lackawanna City Schools do not appear to be affected by the fire. A worker in the superintendent's office said all of the smoke from the fire is moving south of the district. She said the district has activated robocalls to parents advising them that their children are safe.
- The Hamburg Central School District posted a message on its website alerting parents that authorities monitoring air quality in the area have determined that there is no air quality risk currently posed. As a precaution, all outdoor activities in the district have been suspended.
- Orchard Park Central School District also does not appear to be affected by the fire. A message on its website noted that the fire at the plant is about three miles northwest of Windom Elementary School on Sheldon Road. "The wind is coming from NNE, blowing the smoke west and south of Windom," the message reads. As a precaution, students will be kept indoors today.