Niagara continues to look for its first win of the season when it hosts No. 15 Ohio State at Dwyer Arena. The Purple Eagles went 0-2-1 in three road games last week while Ohio State remains undefeated.
Ohio State at Niagara
7:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday
1. Looking for a win: Niagara is still searching for its first win of the season. The Purple Eagles have two ties on their record – a 4-4 final with Atlantic Hockey rival Holy Cross and a 3-3 tie with Rensselaer on Friday. The Purple Eagles enter the non-conference matchup with a record of 0-3-2.
2. Undefeated: Ohio State comes to town with a 3-0-2 mark after sweeping a home-and-home series with Bowling Green. The Buckeyes have been winning with defense, ranking 10th in the country in goals against per game (2.20).
3. Local connection: Amherst native Christian Lampasso is in his junior year at Ohio State. The forward has played in three games this season and has 17 career points for the Buckeyes.
4. Penalty kill: Niagara went 0-2-1 last week with losses to Mercyhurst and Union and a tie against Rensselaer but the Purple Eagles had a solid penalty kill, going 19 for 20 in the three road games. Niagara’s PK is now 34 for 40 (85 percent).
5. Freshmen standouts: Niagara freshmen earned Atlantic Hockey honors as Tyler Hayes was the league’s defensive player of the week while Derek Brown was the rookie of the week. Freshmen have been key for the Purple Eagles with Kris Spriggs leading Atlantic Hockey rookies in scoring with five points (two goals, three assists), putting him in a tie for 16th among NCAA freshmen. Hayes has 13 blocked shots, ranking fourth among all NCAA freshmen and first among Atlantic Hockey rookies.