The Buffalo Fire Department fireboat the Edward M. Cotter was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996 and is believed to be the oldest active fireboat in the world. She was originally named the William S. Grattan when it was built in 1900 by the Crescent Shipyard in New Jersey. IT was rebuilt in 1953 and renamed the Edward M. Cotter. Commissioned when the Buffalo waterfront and port was booming, it was an invaluable asset in protecting the numerous warehouses, grain elevators and other facilities that lined Buffalo's shores. Many of these structures would be difficult to reach using conventional land equipment. The pumping capacity of the Edward M. Cotter is equal to that of 11 firetrucks. The Cotter also serves as the city's sole ice-breaking resource.