Share this article

print logo

Timon football players sit out game; Monsignor Martin executive director resigns

Bishop Timon-St. Jude opted to send a message to its student-athletes instead of letting them play. Meanwhile, Brian Kiszewski decided to bid farewell to the Monsignor Martin High School Athletic Association.

And the drama continued to unfold Saturday for Western New York's private-schools league.

Timon chose not to play its disciplined players following last week’s brawl-shortened game against St. Joe’s despite filing an appeal with the league that would have made them eligible to play in Saturday night’s contest in Rochester against defending state champion Aquinas. They weren't needed as the Tigers returned home with a 26-21 triumph.

Also, the league is in need of a new executive director as Kiszewski resigned from that position Friday.

On Saturday night, Kiszewski said it had nothing to do with fallout from the melee that went viral (and became a national story) mostly because Ole Miss quarterback and NFL prospect Chad Kelly was seen being restrained during the fight at Fitzpatrick Field at Tifft. He said it was just the right time to leave.

The melee broke out after Kelly's younger brother, Casey, was hit near the Timon sideline – causing tempers to flare with St. Joe’s players and coaches wandering to the Tigers’ side of the field during the chaos.

Charlie Comerford, Timon’s athletic director and football coach, issued a statement to The Buffalo News on Saturday morning that the unspecified number of players who were disciplined for their actions during last weekend’s brawl would sit out Saturday’s contest even though the school has filed an appeal with the Monsignor Martin Association’s Board of Principals. The school declined to reveal the number of players disciplined.

“As a school we set forth punishments for any student who acted inappropriately, whether provoked or unprovoked,” Comerford said. “We will strictly enforce these punishments, and the student-athletes who were recognized by our school will not play in (Saturday’s) game.

“As a school administration, we want to send a clear message to our student-athletes, and the rest of Western New York, that we do not condone inappropriate conduct from our student-athletes, regardless of the other team’s actions. ... Although the bylaws in the appeal process would allow our players to play tonight, we feel that our players will learn a better life lesson by sitting out.”

The Timon-St. Joe’s game was ruled a double forfeit as part of the MMA’s disciplinary action. The league also disciplined players from both sides.

St. Joe’s also is in the process of appealing the punishment. The Marauders’ only disciplined player, Freddie Nixon, played during his team’s 27-6 loss to Canisius in the schools’ annual rivalry game.

Canisius Athletic Director Jim Mauro said Kiszewski stepped down Friday via email sent informing member ADs and principals.

“It’s was a wonderful 12 years, but the time was just right for me,” KIszewski said in a text to The Buffalo News. “I can walk away knowing I gave it all I had for every school and student I worked for. Some will understand, some won’t but I can walk way with my head held high. I am very grateful for the opportunity I was afforded and the many friendships I made.”

St. Mary's girls volleyball coach Don Pieczynski believes the melee did impact the decision and feels Kiszweski's efforts will be missed.

"No one wants to be held accountable for their actions," Pieczynski said. "For years Brian has strived to instill integrity in the MMA and was consistently overruled by AD's and principals. The athletes and league will suffer as a result of him resigning."

There are no comments - be the first to comment