Just four months after buying the downtown building that houses their offices, three partners of marketing and advertising firm Crowley Webb are going back in time to restore one of the structure’s original names.
The six-story building at 268 Main St., which previously was just called 268 Main, is now dubbed The Sweeney Building, recalling The Sweeney Company Department Store that was one of its first occupants in the early 1900s.
“The building has quite a history, and we wanted to bring that to life,” said Jeff Pappalardo, senior vice president of Crowley Webb. “Some people know our building as the old Barnes and Hengerer Building, but after doing a little research into past tenants, The Sweeney Company Department Store really stood out to us the most.”
Crowley Webb, a full-service marketing communications firm founded in 1986, has leased space in the 56,208-square-foot building since 1993, and currently occupies the fourth and fifth floors, with plans to expand to the sixth shortly to accommodate its 79 employees and growth plans. Agency partners Pappalardo, Jim Hettich and James Crowley purchased the building in April from former owner Anthony Kissling’s Kissling Interests LLC, paying $3.1 million.
Commercial real estate brokerage J.R. Militello Realty Inc. and Keenan Law Firm occupy the third floor, while the first two floors are vacant. The first floor formerly housed City Grill, and the new owners want a new restaurant in the space.
The red brick and sandstone commercial building was constructed in 1889. Designed by Cyrus K. Porter, the building features Medina sandstone carvings and giant arched windows, with 15-foot ceilings and a two-story glass center entrance with wide marble columns.