Share this article

print logo

Barking dog alerts family to house fire on Grand Island

Fire officials credited the family dog with alerting a sleeping Grand Island family to a fire in their East River Road home early Sunday.

The dog, named Morgan, began barking loudly and awakened the family of Kerwin Pine. Hot embers then were discovered falling from the ceiling of their enclosed rear sun porch. The family, including a visiting granddaughter, escaped safely.

Firefighters from Grand Island Fire Company were called at 12:43 a.m. and quickly extinguished the blaze. Assistant Fire Chief Mark Sadkowski estimated damage at $10,000 to the structure and $1,000 to the contents. He said the fire was caused by a short circuit in wiring for a floodlight.

There are no comments - be the first to comment