• Section VI’s baseball teams will have a rested pitching staffs for the rest of the playoffs. Will that give them an advantage? We’ll find out on Saturday, when the Far West Regionals take place. The opposition for all of the teams has not been determined yet, as the Section V teams will play their finals this week.
The exception is in Class AA, where Lancaster will play Webster Schroeder on Saturday at Frontier Field in Rochester. Williamsville East is the Class A champion and the Flames have a date in Jamestown on Saturday with Canadaigua or Aquinas. In Class B, Fredonia awaits the winner of the game between North Rose-Wolcott and Livonia at Frontier Field. In Class C, Frewsburg takes on the victor of the game between Bolivar-Richburg and Avon in Jamestown. In Class D, Arkport and Genesee Valley will meet to see which plays Westfield at a location to be determined.
• Friday is the big day of the week in softball. Section VI’s five champions will be going up against Rochester-area opponents in the Far West Regionals. At Niagara-Wheatfield, Orchard Park (Class AA), West Seneca East (A) and Depew (B) will try to reach the state championships. Meanwhile, Cleveland Hill (C) and Franklinville (D) will be making the drive to Scio High School - a bit north of Wellsville - to earn a ticket to the states in South Glens Falls. Their opponents have yet to be determined.
• All-High Stadium in Buffalo is the boys lacrosse capital of the region this week. The Section VI championships will be held on Thursday. It’s Orchard Park vs. Lancaster in Class A, Hamburg and Niagara-Wheatfield in Class B, and Gowanda/Silver Creek against Akron in Class C. Two days later, the winners return to All-High for the Far West Regionals.
• The Section VI finals in girls lacrosse will be held Wednesday at All-High Stadium. Lancaster plays Frontier in Class A, Hamburg goes against West Seneca East in Class B, and Lake Shore takes on Amherst in Class C. The Far West Regionals will be held on Section V fields on Saturday.
• The Section VI track and field meet will be held at Pioneer High School on Friday and Saturday. The goal of the athletes will be to make it to the state championships a week later.
Tryouts coming up
St. Joe’s baseball coach Paul Nasca will be hosting a tryout for the Empire State Prospect Games on June 19 at St. Joe’s starting at 1 pm. The Games will be in Amsterdam August 12-14. Last year more than 70 college coaches were in attendance and even more coaches are expected this year. The Class of 2017 will make up one team and the second team will consist of members of the class of 2018 and 2019. Contact Paul Nasca at 998-1113.
Send items for Sidelines to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.