College commencement season kicks off this weekend, when thousands of graduates will be conferred with degrees in ceremonies throughout the area.
Among the keynote speakers are Buffalo Catholic Bishop Richard J. Malone, astronomer Jennifer Wiseman and New York Times columnist Dan Barry.
Here’s a summary of graduation events and speakers from across Western New York campuses.
• SUNY Geneseo – Elizabeth “Liz” Allen, White House deputy communications director and deputy assistant to President Barack Obama, will deliver remarks at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. ceremonies in the college’s Ira S. Wilson Ice Arena.
• SUNY Fredonia – Class of 1982 alumnus Dr. Jeffrey W. Kelly, professor of chemistry and chairman of the department of molecular medicine at the Scripps Research Institute, will be keynote speaker for ceremonies at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. in Steele Hall Arena.
• SUNY Buffalo State – 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Sports Arena, with 2002 and 2004 alumnus Kyle Bradstreet, writer and producer of “Mr. Robot,” delivering remarks.
• Niagara County Community College – 10 a.m. in the Seneca Niagara Events Center, 310 Fourth St., Niagara Falls.
• Hilbert College – Malone, bishop of the Diocese of Buffalo since 2012, will speak at the 1 p.m. ceremony in the Wesleyan Church of Hamburg, 4999 McKinley Parkway.
• Houghton College – 10 a.m. in Wesley Chapel, with remarks from Wiseman, who is director of the program of Dialogue on Science, Ethics and Religion for the American Association for the Advancement of Science and senior project scientist for the Hubble Space Telescope at NASA.
• Niagara University - Bret Stephens, 2013 Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, editorial board member, and deputy editorial page editor for The Wall Street Journal, will deliver the address to the colleges of Business Administration and Hospitality and Tourism Management at 10 a.m. in Gallagher Center. At 3 p.m. , the colleges of Arts and Sciences and Education will hear from Catherine Lyons, a 1975 NU alumna who serves as executive director of patient care services at Smilow Cancer Hospital, part of Connecticut’s Yale-New Haven Hospital Center.
• Alfred University – 10 a.m. McClane Center, with 1991 alumna Dr. Susan Kelleher, also known as “Dr. K” from the National Geographic television series “Dr. K’s Exotic Animal ER.”
• University at Buffalo – 10 a.m. in Alumni Arena on the North Campus, with remarks by UB President Satish K. Tripathi and student speaker Yong Han Dorminic Ong.
• St. Bonaventure University – 10:30 a.m. in Reilly Center Arena, with Barry, a 1980 St. Bonaventure alumnus, author and Times writer since 1995.
• SUNY Alfred State – noon at Pioneer Stadium on campus, with author, speaker and former chief solutions officer at Yahoo Tim Sanders.
• Trocaire College – 7 p.m. in UB’s Center for the Arts, with Leslie Zemsky, partner in Larkin Development Group and Larkin Square “Director of Fun” providing remarks.
• Erie Community College – 7 p.m. in the SUNY Buffalo State College Sports Arena, with Carlos Medina, vice chancellor and chief diversity officer for the State University of New York.
On May 20:
• Medaille College – 7 p.m. in Kleinhans Music Hall, with Tererai Trent, founder and president of Tererai Trent International and adjunct professor in monitoring and evaluation in global health at Drexel University.
• Jamestown Community College, Cattaraugus County Campus – 7 p.m. in the Olean YMCA/JCC Physical Education Center on Wayne St. in Olean, with Jessica Goodell, U.S. Marine Corps veteran and author of Shade It Black.
On May 21:
• Jamestown Community College, main campus – 10 a.m. in the Physical Education Complex, with Jessica Goodell.
• D’Youville Collge – 9 a.m. in Kleinhans Music Hall, with Carolyn Y. Woo, president and CEO of Catholic Relief Services.
• Canisius College – The Rev. James Martin, author and editor-at-large of America magazine, will address undergraduates in a ceremony at 10 a.m. in the Koessler Athletic Center.
• Daemen College – 2:30 p.m. in Kleinhans Music Hall, with Yvonne Boice, owner and operator of The Shoppes at Village Pointe and vice president of the Trust for the National Endowment for the Humanities.
On May 22:
• Villa Maria College – 1 p.m. in the college auditorium.
• Genesee Community College – 1 p.m. in the college gymnasium.