The 30-year-old woman critically burned in a Moselle Street house fire Friday died Sunday in Erie County Medical Center.
Gladys Bonner, who was found in a second-floor bedroom and carried from the burning house by firefighters, was taken off life support at the hospital after loved ones had been given the chance to say their goodbyes.
Fire investigators had said a marijuana-growing operation helped spark an electrical malfunction that started the blaze.
Bonner had suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns over 60 percent of her body and was unresponsive when firefighters found her.
They performed CPR outside the house and she was taken to ECMC, but she went into cardiac arrest multiple times and it was determined that she was brain-dead.
Fire Commissioner Garnell W. Whitfield Jr. said Monday the improper connection to the electric meter and extension cords used to provide power for the illegal marijuana operation and a number of other appliances, including heaters, all contributed to igniting the fire, which began on the second floor of the 2½-story, wood-frame house.
Police say they are continuing their criminal investigation into the pot operation, but declined to release additional details.
City fire marshals also have assisted in the probe.
Two other people at the house at 378 Moselle, between East Ferry Street and East Woodlawn Avenue, had managed to escape on their own. One was a 30-year-old man who suffered burns but was conscious and was taken to ECMC for treatment.
The other was a woman who fled the fire with her clothes smoldering from the heat, but was not burned.