Share this article

print logo

Tonawanda apartment fire may have been sparked by discarded cigarette

A lit cigarette tossed in the garbage is listed as the possible cause of a fire Tuesday night in the Town of Tonawanda.

The blaze inside an apartment at 761 Kenmore Ave. was reported at 9:15 p.m., Town of Tonawanda police said.

The multi-unit apartment building at the corner of Truesdale Road sustained $13,000 in damage. All other units besides the residence where the fire occurred were deemed habitable.

A man told firefighters he came home and saw smoke coming from behind his apartment door. He and a neighbor were able to escape the building.

No injuries were reported.