Blame the Buffalo Bandits, not the protestors.
Officials putting together details for Donald Trump’s upcoming Buffalo visit said his rally that had been scheduled for Sunday night at First Niagara Center is being moved to next Monday for logistical reasons, not because of any concerns about protesters, as some Trump critics are claiming.
“No one is concerned about protesters,” said Erie County Republican Party Chairman Nicholas Langworthy. He said a Buffalo Bandits game the night before was going keep the Trump campaign from getting access to the arena until 6 a.m. Sunday. That was not enough time to both do the staging work and meet concerns raised by the Secret Service, Langworthy said.
“It was too tight a constraint,” he said.
Besides, Langworthy said, the Trump campaign wanted to end its New York campaign in Buffalo at an event – expected to draw 19,000 supporters – that is being touted in advance as his largest gathering in the state primary contest.
“The ultimate event is in Buffalo,” Langworthy said. The event will now take place on the eve of New York’s April 19 Republican primary.
Trump’s critics had been quick to say the shift to Monday was a result of their plans to protest the New York City billionaire.
“We believe Mr. Trump did not expect so many people in his home state to organize against him and his campaign was intimidated by our cohesion and commitment to advertise peace and respect,” said organizer Ben Caldwell. “Our resistance is bolstered by his capitulation.”
Organizers of an anti-Trump march that had been planned for Sunday starting on Bidwell Parkway said that their march will still take place on Sunday. But they also plan to hold a “stand-in” near First Niagara Center on the day of the rally as well.
Trump holds a double-digit lead in the primary race in New York, according to a new Fox News poll. The poll shows Trump is supported by 54 percent of likely Republican voters, compared with 22 percent for Ohio Gov. John R. Kasich and 15 percent for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.