Share this article

print logo

Antique collector loses his house and collection in Lockport

LOCKPORT — An Lockport man made it out without injury when his Washburn Street home caught fire Saturday night — alerted by a smoke detector.

The fire destroyed the two-story home at 415 Washburn Street, said Lockport Fire Department Chief Patrick Brady. Damage to the house was listed at $66,000 and the contents, which included an extensive antiques collection, was listed at $60,000.

Brady said the man lives in the house alone and was upstairs when he heard the smoke detector just after 8:30 p.m. Saturday. He went downstairs and started to smell the smoke and found his kitchen ablaze. The occupant’s name was not made public.

“He didn’t even have time to grab his shoes,” said Brady. “The fire was well-advanced before we arrived. When we got there it was fully involved with flames coming out of two windows on the porch. The back and rear were completely involved.”

Brady said, “Without a doubt the smoke detector saved his life.”

He said firefighters were on the scene until midnight getting the fire under control. The fire was cleared just after 2 a.m. A three-man crew remained on the scene until 5 a.m. watching for hot spots, added Brady.

South Lockport volunteer firefighters were on standby, said Brady.