While world and national events loomed large on the front page, a development related to the early automobile industry was happening in Buffalo.
"The House Wire Wheel company, capitalized at $2,000,000, with Henry A. House Jr., Eugene L. Falk and M.H. Mark as its incorporators, will soon begin the manufacture on a big scale of wire wheels for automobiles," the story on the front page of The Buffalo Evening News reports.
According to the Model T Ford Club of America Website, Henry A. House Jr. was the son of one of the foremost inventors of the 19th century. Henry House Sr. was awarded patents for improvements in manufacturing textiles, hats, paper plates, shredded wheat biscuits, and more.
According to the Model T site, Henry Jr. in 1914 filed a patent for a center locking device for an automotive wire wheel. In 1916, the Wire Wheel Corporation of Buffalo acquired House's patent and moved House to Buffalo. In 1917, the company began to manufacture and sell the House wire wheel.
Click on the page below to view a larger image: