Share this article

print logo

Sabres' Evander Kane: 'I'm glad the truth came out and prevailed'

From the moment a sexual assault investigation of Evander Kane began, the Sabres forward maintained he did nothing wrong. He is obviously happy and relieved that law enforcement officials agreed.

The Erie County District Attorney’s Office and the Buffalo Police sex offense squad determined that nothing illegal occurred during Kane’s encounter with a young woman in December, and acting District Attorney Michael J. Flaherty Jr. announced Friday that no charges would be filed.

“I’m definitely happy that process is behind me,” Kane said Saturday morning in First Niagara Center. “I’m very grateful with the support I got from the Buffalo Sabres and my teammates and family members as well. I’m thankful that this is behind me and I’m looking to move forward.

“As I said before, I did nothing wrong, and I’m glad the truth came out and prevailed.”

Kane, according to Buffalo News sources, took the woman back to his downtown hotel room for consensual sex Dec. 27. The woman later sought medical attention. After she said she could not remember what happened, hospital officials contacted police after finding evidence of trauma and examining the woman for signs of sexual assault.

The police searched Kane’s room and his vehicle. News of the investigation reached a hockey world still keenly aware of the rape accusations levied against Buffalo’s Patrick Kane.

“It was definitely difficult,” Evander Kane said. “Obviously, you don’t want to be associated with anything like that.”

Kane is in his first season with the Sabres. Before the investigation, the 24-year-old had been rebuilding his image after a tumultuous stay in Winnipeg.

“I know it’s been over Evander’s head for a while now,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said, “and it’s good to hear the news that it is behind him and put it in the past.”

There are no comments - be the first to comment