Nearly 297,000 taxpayers in Erie County are eligible to file both their federal and state income tax returns for free through the state Department of Taxation and Finance’s website, the department is reminding taxpayers.
The “e-file for free” program allows taxpayers with a federal adjusted gross income under $62,000 to file their taxes at no cost using software available at www.tax.ny.gov.
Taxpayers can file online or in person at a free tax-return filing assistance site. There are five such sites in Erie County hosted through the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library system:
• Dudley Branch, 2010 South Park Ave., Buffalo
• Downtown Branch, One Lafayette Square, Buffalo
• Kenilworth Branch, 318 Montrose Ave., Town of Tonawanda
• Lackawanna Public Library, 560 Ridge Road
• West Seneca Public Library, 1300 Union Road
Tax Department volunteers are available at the sites to answer questions. Appointments are recommended, but walk-ins are accepted at many locations on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information visit www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/file_a_return.htm