The Concord man accused of shooting his fiancée’s young daughters with BBs waived his right to have his case heard by a grand jury and pleaded guilty to two felony assault charges Friday afternoon.
Steven Scroger, 29, admitted in State Supreme Court that on Feb. 16 he fired a BB gun “multiple times” at the girls, who are 4 and 6 years old, allegedly to punish them. Scroger was living with the girls and their mother at the time.
The children’s injuries were discovered by their father during their visit with him. Scroger allegedly had told the girls to tell anyone who asked that the bruises were bug bites, but the girls’ father took the children to Mercy Ambulatory Care Center in Orchard Park to be examined. Staff there called the authorities.
In a March 3 appearance in Concord Town Court, Scroger was ordered to stay away from the girls and from his own 1-year-old child until his case is resolved. The girls, who reportedly are doing well, are now staying with other relatives.
Scroger never was able to post the $50,000 bail set at that time, and on Friday, following the request of Assistant District Attorney Jeremy V. Murray, Justice John L. Michalski ordered that he be held without bail until his sentencing.
John Nichols, Scroger’s attorney, had asked for a lower bail so his client could continue being treated for a serious leg injury he sustained in a work accident last year. His leg was crushed between a train car and a shipping container.
“He has no prior arrests of any kind, and he continues to be troubled by his injury,” Nichols said. “He is barely able to use his left leg. I’d like him out so he can get some treatment and maybe surgery.”
Michalski said he appreciated Nichols’ arguments but felt the severity of the charges merited keeping Scroger in jail.
The charges, which are Class D violent felonies, carry a maximum possible penalty of two to seven years in prison. Sentencing is set for April 27.