Share this article

print logo

Chimney fire reported at home in Amherst’s Willow Ridge section

A fire that was set in the fireplace of a home in Amherst’s Willow Ridge neighborhood somehow spread up into the attic late Saturday, causing $40,000 damage to the home, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at 7:07 p.m. by a neighbor who called 911 after seeing flames leaping from the chimney of a home at 799 Edgewater Drive, off Chestnut Ridge Road, according to dispatchers with Amherst’s Central Fire Alarm Office.

The 2½-story residence was occupied by at least two people at the time, though no one was injured. Fire investigators aren’t yet sure how the fire spread up the chimney and out into the attic.

The Ellicott Creek Fire Company was first on the scene, with assistance from the Getzville Fire Company.