Share this article

print logo

Fire in garbage tote spreads to Niagara Falls home

NIAGARA FALLS – Someone started a fire in a garbage tote that spread to a Whitney Avenue home late Sunday.

Two adults and three children are being helped by the Red Cross after a blaze at a two-family home at 2401 Whitney Ave., the Niagara Falls fire department said.

The fire, reported at 11:17 p.m., spread from the trash receptacle to the home’s vinyl siding. A window also was smashed and the flames spread to some curtains, the department said.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, which was intentionally set, officials said. The fire caused $5,000 in damage to the building and $1,000 to the contents.