PHILADELPHIA – An attorney for Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy told The Buffalo News Wednesday that his client “did nothing wrong” in the Feb. 7 nightclub brawl that sent two off-duty police officers to the hospital.

As of Wednesday, no charges had been filed in the incident, which also involved three other men who were with McCoy and a third off-duty police officer.

“We continue to investigate,” Cameron Kline, a spokesman for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, told The News Wednesday.

However, a source close to the investigation later told The News that the DA’s office would likely hold a news conference to share its findings in the case on Thursday, “Friday at the latest.” It was unclear if that also meant arrest warrants would be issued. If so, according to another source close to the situation, anyone charged would be instructed to turn himself in.

“We’re awaiting a decision by the DA’s office,” said Dennis Cogan, one of two criminal defense attorneys representing McCoy. “We trust that they are really taking time to consider all the surrounding circumstances. But I’m here to say and I’m telling you that McCoy did nothing wrong, nothing wrong. And he was sober. The questions will have to be asked about the conditions of other people.”

Said Larry Krasner, McCoy’s other criminal defense attorney, “The last information we had from the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office came (Feb. 11) and it was that there would be nothing before this Wednesday (Feb. 17), which has come and gone. So we look forward to hearing more information about this increasingly lengthy investigation.”

The snail’s pace of the investigation into the fight that took place at Recess Lounge – a private, after-hours social club – has raised eyebrows in legal and law-enforcement circles.

“It’s truly extraordinary to have this kind of a delay in this kind of case,” a source close to the situation told The News. “It’s not a six-month investigation where there’s wire taps and surveillance and confidential informants placed inside of a drug organization. This is, essentially, a simple bar fight. And it raises all sorts of questions about the extent to which the prosecutor’s office is confident in the information that’s been provided them.”

John McNesby, president of the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police, said he believes the DA is taking a more cautious approach than usual with the case.

“I think they’re being a little bit more thorough than the average investigation,” he told The News. “They’re making sure all the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed. They’re looking under every, I guess, crevice, whatever you can find. They’re looking everywhere.

“I think it’s clear, by the video (that has been available online) and everything else, that, eventually, this is going to come to a head and then it will start back up again. The fact of the matter is that this was serious, not only because police officers were involved or off-duty police. I think it was because the nature of what you saw there.

“Once (the investigation concludes), I think if they can come to a resolution on this quickly and put it behind everybody, they’ll probably be better off, both for Shady and our guys. Let’s get a quick resolution, don’t let it linger around. But, again, I don’t know how that will be done because these were some serious injuries.”

According to Philadelphia police, one of the off-duty officers suffered a broken nose, broken ribs, and other injuries after being punched, knocked to the ground, kicked and stomped on by all four of the suspects.

Philadelphia police said a second off-duty officer who stepped in to break up the fight suffered a possible skull fracture and broken ribs.

Click here to see the comments. Add yours now!