Share this article

print logo

Discarded cigarette blamed for smoky Pine Avenue fire

NIAGARA FALLS – A carelessly discarded cigarette was blamed for a smoky fire that damaged a building at 1824 Pine Ave. Friday night, according to reports.

A resident using the laundry room at the building noticed heavy smoke about 7:25 p.m. and alerted another resident, who was able to esccape safely with her child. Although they thought the fire may have originated in the laundry room, investigators it was caused by a cigarette discarded between a rear deck and the building’s siding. The siding smoldered, causing a large amount of smoke, but fire officials said there was no structural damage to the building, which houses an EG Tax office in the front portion.

No damage estimate was given.