NIAGARA FALLS – Lewis Buttery has found evidence that his ancestor, Gad Pierce Jr., first bought land near the mighty cataract as early as 1803 and later opened a tavern about halfway along the portage from Fort Schlosser on the upper Niagara River to Fort Niagara at its mouth.
Buttery will give a lecture on that story illustrated with historical maps, prints and documents uncovered in his detailed research at 6 p.m. Feb. 18 in the Niagara Room of the Niagara Arts & Cultural Center, 1201 Pine Ave.
The program is sponsored by the Niagara Falls Historic Preservation Society and is free and open to the public Light refreshments will be served.
After the lecture, Buttery will open his BRI-NK Museum to attendees in the suite adjacent to the Niagara Room. Buttery Research Initiative – Niagara Knowledge (BRI-NK) Foundation is the vehicle Buttery has created to preserve and share his family history.
The Niagara Falls Historic Preservation Society works to increase awareness of the city’s valuable history through downtown walking tours, training of tour guides, and other public offerings. Its website is www.nfhps.org.